Catharsis

There are times that I ask myself - am I doing all I need to do? Am I being a great mother? Should I be better off - financially, physically, whatever. And then I have a wake up call and truly understand that my blessings are many and although the "coulda, woulda, shoulda's" are still around, my life is great and dare I say could be envied by many. I mean really - how many people are able to stop working full-time to take care of family, and still be able to both make an impact on others and fulfill personal goals? So, I am thankful for it all.

You may be asking yourself what has spurned these musings of mine in the midst of dialogue about diaper cakes? Well, I finally got a chance to watch the movie "Freedom Writers" and it truly moved me. If you have not seen the movie please see it, or better yet read the book (I am going to) and check out the Freedom Writers Foundation.

This is the inspirational story of a young teacher, Erin Gruwell that enters a classroom in Long Beach and makes a tremendous impact on children that had otherwise been chalked up as failures. Her success is illustrated by the fact that all 150 of her students not only graduated from high school but attended college. These children had it tough and as a former AmeriCorp volunteer I know firsthand how there are children that live lives that I would never wish on my worst enemy.

And so, I am reminded that I am blessed. My son has two married parents in the home, we own our own home and we have two cars. My husband and I are both entrepreneurs and we are working it out. The success of this teacher and her students provides me with hope and confidence to pursue my passion - they overcame tremendous odds stacked against them and succeeded. I continue to be inspired by others to pursue my own dreams!

Comments

Popular Posts