Key Lime Pie Labor Day Dessert




Labor Day is just a few days away and I am looking forward to the annual picnic, reunion and dance party called House in the Park! I attend this event every year and spend hours with my friends eating, laughing, enjoying libations and of course dancing! If you didn't know, I'm an avid dancer and have been called a dancing machine on more than one occasion! Dancing in fact is my favorite form of exercise.

All of that energy expended calls for some good food and this year I'm bringing the key lime pie! I figure with all of those calories burned a little pie won't hurt me or my friends. I make my pie totally from scratch with the graham cracker crust and freshly squeezed key limes that I bought at Walmart. Key limes are teeny tiny and removing the juice can be a hassle. I however have technique that makes juicing key limes easy as pie!



I simply use a garlic press, I purchased mine at Walmart it is their Mainstays brand ($3.97). Check out my video to see it in action.





The crust is simple to make, I used graham crackers that I crushed in my blender, sugar and butter.



The filling is sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks and key lime juice.



Before I juiced the limes I made lime zest that is also in the filling and used as a garnish.



To top it off I made whipped cream by beating heavy cream and sugar in my Kitchen aid mixer.



To say this recipe is delicious is an understatement! This particular pie I made for a friends birthday and it was completely devoured. I'll be making another for this weekend's festivities! If you like the tart and sweet flavor of Key Lime pie this recipe is for you. It is easy to make and won't disappoint. Your friends and family will be begging for more!


Key Lime Pie
Reprinted from The Pioneer Woman

Ingredients
 Crust
    18 whole Graham Crackers (the 4-section Large Pieces)
    1/3 cup Sugar
    1/3 cup Butter, Melted

 Filling
   1 Tablespoon (heaping) Lime Zest
    1/2 cup Lime Juice
    2 whole Egg Yolks
    1 can (14 Oz) Sweetened Condensed Milk

Preparation Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

For the crust:
Crush crackers in a food processor or Ziploc bag. Pour them into a bowl and stir in sugar and melted butter. Press into a pie pan and bake for 5 minutes or until golden and set. Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly.

For the filling:
Mix lime zest, lime juice, and egg yolks in a mixing bowl. Add in condensed milk and mix on high until smooth and thick. Pour mixture into crust and bake for 15 minutes.

Remove from oven, allow to cool, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour—more if possible.
Serve with sweetened whipped cream and more grated lime zest.


For more Labor Day Ideas check out my fellow Walmart Moms:






Comments

Popular Posts