Whole Wheat Crepes with Homemade Nutella, Bananas and Strawberries

Earlier this week I was inspired to make homemade Nutella by folks on twitter. That was a roaring success and so I decided to make banana crepes with Nutella, my friend James Andrews told me that Nutella prepared this way was delicious. Of course, in my usual fashion I had to make a version that wasn't too high in calories and fit into my new healthy way of living. I am very pleased with the results!

I used a combination of whole wheat flour and white flour because whole wheat flour is heavier that regular flour. The crepe itself was still a little thick for my liking so next time I will add a tablespoon or two of water to thin it out a little bit more. I used plain almond milk instead of regular milk and I sprayed the pan with no stick cooking spray. I also sauteed the bananas and strawberries with I can't believe it's not butter cooking spray - no extra calories there! As prepared my crepe which includes an entire medium sized banana, a tablespoon of Nutella and 5 strawberries only has 318 calories. A wonderful tasting, filling breakfast that takes only about 10 minutes to prepare. This would be great to serve at a brunch!

Whole Wheat Crepes with Homemade Nutella, Bananas and Strawberries
1/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 cup Flour
1 cup Almond milk
pinch of salt
1 large egg
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 medium banana
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tsp brown sugar
1 bay leaf
5 medium strawberries
1 Tablespoon Homemade Nutella
5 squirts I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray (or other non-stick, no calorie spray)

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Whisk milk and egg, mix in to dry ingredients, add melted butter. Batter should be fairly thin, if too thick add water until it reaches desired consistency. Set aside.

Cut banana lengthwise and then into 1/4 inch pieces. Spray a sauce pan with non-stick spray over medium heat, add bay leaf and cook until it crackles (about 1 minute), add brown sugar and lemon juice, stir. Add bananas. Sautee for 2 minutes and add strawberries. Cook 1 more minute and remove from heat.

Coat medium pan with non-stick cooking spray over medium heat. Pour crepe mixture in pan - about 4 inches across. Cook until set, flip with spatula. Cook until brown, remove and place on plate. Spread one tablespoon of Nutella on crepe. Add banana and strawberry mixture (without bay leaf), place extra on top.

Serve.

As prepared batter makes 3-4 crepes. The filling can be multiplied depending on how many crepes you are planning on serving.

Nutritional information

308 calories
49 carbohydrates
12 grams of fat
6 grams of protein




Comments

Dawn Camp said…
There was a kiosk at Photoshop World last week that sold crepes. They had a nutella/strawberry/banana and a strawberries and whipped cream, but also breakfast varieties with ham, cheese, and scrambled eggs, and others with salad greens, ham or turkey, honey mustard, tomatoes, etc.

They rolled the crepes into a cone shape and put them in a paper sleeve, sort of like a large snow cone. I stood in line for about 40 minutes of my lunch hour each day just to get these. Amazing!

I came home thinking I needed to start making crepes. You're inspiring me!
Gem said…
YUM!

I only tried Nutella for the first time a couple of months ago and this would be great to incorporate it in!
Kathy Sykes said…
AND you're becoming a gourmet chef!!! What else do you have up your sleeve? :-)
This looks good but my favorite was the salmon patty and salad! Even my sister said "Who made that"?
Kathy Sykes said…
AND you're becoming a gourmet chef!!! What else do you have up your sleeve? :-)
This looks good but my favorite was the salmon patty and salad! Even my sister said "Who made that"?
Petula said…
I haven't had Nutella in such a long time! It's really good and I never thought to put it on anything else, but crackers or something like that.
I just discovered Nutella last week. That stuff is awesome! I think I'll start putting it on everything.

Popular Posts